Welcome To Ramblings of a Single Momma!

Raise it, Make it, Bake it, Reshape it...We can do it ALL!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nannys Corner: Sweet Potatoes - Sweet Treats

Hi everyone....I'm a little late with my post this week...my husband had back surgery two weeks ago so things have been a "little" hectic.
Last week my friend and neighbor Lori Ellis gave me some sweet potatoes from her garden.  They are so sweet and delicious compared to the store bought ones.  I used two with dinner last night....mashed them with butter and served them with our Salmon fillets.
Then last evening I got this idea to make some Sweet Potato Muffins with the remaining ones.  So this morning I wrote a recipe for them and set out putting them together.  Wanted to see if they were good enough to share the recipe with you.  Of course, I thought so...Tee Hee...but then my husband tried one, and he said they were really good!  I will apologize for not having a photo tutorial this time.  I will do one next time I make them, which I am sure will be soon with Thanksgiving around the corner.  Here's my recipe:




Bake @ 350 degrees for 28 - 30 minutes.  (or until tester comes out clean)
Recipes makes 6 jumbo muffins.

Whisk together the following dry ingredients  in a medium bowl and set aside.
2 cups flour
2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

In larger bowl combine until smooth ( I used my immersible hand blender for this)
1 egg
1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups cooked and peeled sweet potatoes

To this add the dry ingredients and mix just until  moistened.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!  Happy Baking!

Until next time,  Love and Hugs

Topping:
1 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix together and sprinkle each muffin with heaping tablespoon of topping, and enjoy!

No comments: